We have in the past discussed whether lacemaking is art or craft.

For my two penn'th I'll suggest that it is craft when you are working a pattern
designed by someone else, or an adaptation of another pattern, but art when you
have designed and made the lace from scratch as a one-off piece.  Much the same
as painting by numbers on a pre-printed drawing is craft whilst sketching your
own picture and then painting it is art.

I think that the reason very few lacemakers sell their work is because of the
time it takes to make it.  A competent amateur artist could paint and frame a
picture that would sell for 40-50 pounds in an afternoon.  How much lace could
you make in that time and would it sell for that sort of money?

Brenda

On 27 Sep 2010, at 15:03, Clive & Betty Rice wrote:

> You should have related that lacemaking is a "fine art" or "fiber art."  I,
> and many lacemakers in the USA, consider "crafts" differently than
> lacemaking. Cardmaking, wooden lawn orrnaments, box making, and the sort of
> things that can be sold at craft fairs as "crafts."  Do lacemakers go to
> craft fairs and/or set up tables at festivals to sell the fine lace that we
> have made?
>
> Can we make an effort to change "lacemaking" to a fine art instead of a
> "craft?"

Brenda in Allhallows
www.brendapaternoster.me.uk