I'm with Brian.

When I first thought about starting bobbin lace, I asked a lacemaker for a
pricking of a Springett snake.  She (probably quite rightly) said no, it was
copyrighted.

But it seemed a bit tough to me at the time.   I didn't want a copy of the
whole book, just the famous "snake", which is ideal for a beginner to get
the hang of cross and twist, and is often used on "try me" pillows at
demonstrations. We were at a demonstration at the time - she on bobbin lace,
I was tatting, before I had even started bobbin lace.

Several years later, I of course bought copies of the Springett books, and
have since shared the snake pricking with several others, who in turn have
gone on to purchase the books.  Had I not shared the snake pricking with
them, they may not have known about the books, and how good they are.

Noelene in Cooma
nlaffe...@ozemail.com.au