Hello Alix,
because I don't see any difficulties working with wire I need some time to
think what I could say to this.
I worked with normal and with hooked bobbins and didn't find big difference.
Think to move the wire not more than necessarily because if it gets scrimbles
it will never become totally straight and wire could break.
The patterns should be simple not all stitches are possible to do easily and
the material is dominating.
Perhaps one could say if somebody has a certain fluency in bobbin lacing it's
easy to work with every material. For a beginner it would be a bit more
difficult but it will work, I am sure.
Good luck

Ilske