Hi all
Have been reading the spangles / spangling thread.

My understanding has been that East Midlands bobbins began life unspangled and they tended to be slimmer and shorter in earlier years, then as thread gradually became thicker, (perhaps the change from s to z twist thread also played a part) that spangles gradually began to be attached to give a little more weight to the bobbins and the size of bobbins also began to get a little larger too.

I have several examples of old bobbins with staples used to attach the spangle to the bobbin and also examples of the wire being wrapped around the tail end of the bobbin. The drilled hole was a progression from this. I also have examples of old bobbins being spangled with a bent pin (passed through the drilled hole) and forming a U-shaped loop and the spangle is then attached to this.

These bobbins are part of two collections that have been passed on to me. The original owner of one collection had 14 lacemakers in her family tree. The other was a collector of bobbins and she also made a little lace (this collection has spent the past 20 years in an attic). I've just about completed cataloging the first collection,but I've not fully sorted through the second, I've only had it a couple of weeks.

In both collections there are some very small / slim East Midlands bobbins when compared to those made by say the Blunt End Man, and other 19th C ones which are longer and generally that bit larger.

Brian, happy to send you photos - but it will have to wait until I return home. Am interested in having a read of your article on spangles/spangling.

Sue (Harvey) - would be interested to see a picture of your East Midland bobbins with bulbous ends/ Bucks thumpers.

Sorry this is a little brief, but I'm supposed to be getting packed and organised and not writing about spangles and bobbins - which is a lot more interesting !!!!!!

Nicky      in Suffolk