I loved Debbie's note on making lace and bobbins. I am sure so may of you love your bobbins be they antique or not.

I am almost apologetic when I say that I hope my enthusiasm for antique bobbins and the mysteries which surround them does not take away from anyone's enjoyment of all bobbins, be they old or new.

I make them myself, though perhaps not to the standards of those who have gained the notice of this list, but I love turning them. It demands a lot of skill and perseverance and artistic ability.

Modern makers have the advantage of having a variety of exotic woods available to them, superb polishes and most importantly the ability to have super sharp tools which is a prime requirement for the turning of thinnish bobbins which are the fashion of this time.

I too have found that other bobbin makers have unstintingly offered and given me their time and advice in my learning process and the development of my skills.

I have to say, that when I was making I often thought of the pleasure that I hoped my bobbins would bring to their user. Rather like, as a nurse (which was my profession) and I went into administration; I often thought that at the end of that "administrative piece of paper" I hoped there would be a patient who would benefit. (The only thing that kept me sane! :) )

To paraphrase the Springetts, -to whom we who study, use, and love lace bobbins- have a debt of gratitude, "Success to the Lace Bobbin"

From Brian and Jean
Cooranbong. Australia