Pene, I believe they do Not allow anyone in to see the lace these days.

Helen & I got in to see it in about 1989, when we visited Canberra. We were
going to visit the Lace Group that evening, and during the day went to see
the new Parliament House, and I asked to see the lace that the Canberra
Group had made.  I had helped make the lace for the Melbourne Lord Mayor a
few years before this, so used that as an added "extra', and played on the
"I have come all the way from Melbourne to see this lace."!!!  I would not
take No for an answer, and in the end they took us through the back blocks
(the place is like a rabbit warren!!) and showed us the lace, - just to shut
me up, I think!!!

The guy in the Office was very nice, though, and dusted off the glass-topped
box coffee table that they were displayed in so Helen could take a photo!!
Then we had a long chat with him explaining all about the policing of
Parliament House, and Sergeant-at-Arms roll, and etc.  Very interesting, and
worth the effort. The lace was nicely displayed, and was obviously being
looked after.

It is a pity it is rarely worn, and Never on show.

I am told that the jabot and cuffs made for the Lord Mayor of Melb has been
lost!   I made half of one round of the 2 rounds for each cuff - a torchon
pattern designed to represent various icons of Melbourne.  It was laid in a
beaut, lined,  wooden box - so how can it get lost?  Grrr!

Regards from Liz in Melbourne

lizl...@bigpond.com