I've spent every Monday afternoon since the beginning of September sitting next to Eve while she worked on her Christmas patterns for Poole Bobbin Lace Circle. Not only did she spend that time, but it was plain that she was also spending a lot of time at home working on them. I told her I felt sorry for her husband because he must be as thin as a rake from not being fed, be wearing filthy clothes because she wasn't getting any laundry done and her home must be knee-high in dust from lack of cleaning. I certainly wouldn't have been able to fit in the amount of time she spent on them and looking after a husband and home as she did.

I've seen her charting the designs, trying different types of wire, making the frame in different ways with different overlaps, trying different beads (the holes in some are too small for the crochet hook to go through), different ways of incorporating the frame into the lace, different ways of finishing (particularly the difficulty with metallic thread) and so on. In the November PBLC newsletter you can see three more of her designs and just one of the other ways she tried for incorporating the wire and finishing off. There are eight designs in total.

In addition to spending that time on the designing and trialling, she will be running a workshop next Saturday for PBLC members.

We all appreciate the amount of time and effort she puts into PBLC in general, in producing the patterns for our charity and workshop, and for giving one design to the web site for everyone to enjoy. I'm sure that, if you have a better way of doing something on one of them, she's very happy for you to do it with the piece you make. Having seen the time and effort involved in the eight designs, I'm just happy to accept and appreciate them as they are. And Eve, please don't blush - I mean it.

Jean in Poole, Dorset, UK