Hi Natalie

In the Lace Society magazine number 101 (1988) there was an article by Christine Springett on stocking fronts. She had found, at various times, three similar single diamond shaped supposed stocking fronts but none of them matched. Their partners could have been lost or I supposed there could have been three one legged ladies about!

A follow up article (issue 102) shows part of the pattern called Periwinkle (the original is approx.15 inches long) from the North Bucks Lace Association collection at Aylesbury Museum. This is stamped M.E.B. Burrows. Also an excerpt from L'Art et la Mode 1914 which includes an illustration of stockings with lace inserts.

There is also another short response in issue 103 from Eva Cummings (who had a very large collection of old lace at the time).

To go back to Christine's original article which begins with her finding of the diamond shaped piece labelled as 'a bonnet back'. She points out that there are very few babies with pointed heads. But.............at about that time while on holiday I had visited the lovely little Helena Thompson Museum at Workington where they had some rather nice ladies and children's costume. In one display cabinet were various babies bonnets including one with a diamond shaped back and no it was not displayed on a pointed headed model. The longer points of the diamond shaped lace insert reached to the forehead and the nape of the neck, with the shorter points to the ears - with me! I did contact the museum at the time but heard nothing from them as they were updating the building I believe and the exhibits and displays were not accessible. Time goes by and I did no more about it.

If you would like copies of the articles please let me know. And as Alex said I have a printed copy of the Periwinkle pattern (from Aylesbury)and also another design if I remember rightly - let me know.

Diana in cold Northamptonshire