",,,man...appears to have padded his

calves under his tights..."

"...Queen Elizabeth *might* have worn lace stockings, though  details do not
show them..."

Generally, lace was worn where it would be noticed, which for "undergarments"
(which I consider stockings to be as legs, much less ankles on a woman being
seen was considered un-ladylike), was relegated to hems, necklines, and of
course the outer embellishments typically discussed.  Not that a queen wouldn't
have lace stockings, but logic (and some fashion history background) would
indicate that lace fronts would be more used in Victorian times.

Toned calves evolve with wearing heels (which would apply to the time of the
Volta pic), along with riding horse, and lifestyles of the day, etc.  Many
females can currently attest that regular wearing of heels creates more muscled
calves.  Certain body types muscle more easily than others, and since men have
less body fat, it becomes more obvious.  I think men of the time were more
inclined to pad the front of their "tights," etc.

Best,
Susan Reishus