I am sure in my mind that their are both fashions and personal likes and dislikes.

Actually I have written an essay (that is being vetted by a friend) about just this thing.

Lace makers talk mostly about "smoothness in handling their bobbins", they also have favourite makers, there is quite a good interest in "square" bobbins. I think it is horses for courses.

Certainly the fashions (if I am correct) for bobbins today, differ widely from the fashions that the "antique" bobbins indicate. For a start the diameter (generally speaking) today is much thinner than the old time bobbins. I have been known (with the kindest sympathies for those sufferers and their families of the illness) to call modern day bobbins as "anorexic" compared to to their "elders".

Perhaps I should say.. "watch this space" as I will offer my essay to those who may be interested. To offer a teaser... I am suggesting that spangling came about as the result of fashion and not to do with the technicalities of lace making. OK wait....... and then read it and respond. But enjoy your bobbins, that is what I want you to do.


From Brian and Jean
Cooranbong. Australia
-
To unsubscribe send email to [email protected] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [email protected]. For help, write to
[email protected]

Reply via email to