I am both responding to specific statements and reflecting on the thoughts
brought to the surface of my recently muddled mind. So if I reference
another’s comments it will be out of context but hopefully within reasonable
usage.

I do want to apologize in advance for the length of this but it is one email
responding to many emails.
Jacquie in Lincolnshire wrote:
“But you don't need to reverse technology as far as a dip pen, unless you
are very comfortable using one.  Lots of the fine fibre tip (0.1) pens are
waterproof and indelible, and for drawing curves for spiders legs . . . or to
be able to do the trails as a fluent continuous zigzag they are much easier to
use.”

Response:
I have lots of dip pens so they were handy. I think it telling that in the
midst of this discussion on the difficulty in acquiring Architect’s Linen I
recently had difficulty finding real India ink. My old bottle had separated
and the pigment solidified and just about everything I found was shellac free.

The wonderful Sharpie fine tip retractable I use for Scout certificates is
advertised as water resistant. I have had to replace several water resistant
watches after swimming with them.

I started using the sticky plastic after a drop of sweat hit my pricking and
the ink jet ink ran. But I will probably get a couple of disposable drafting
pens for serious pricking.
Bev in Shirley BC wrote
“For some the pre-pricking is more relaxing than making the lace. For most,
pre-pricking the pattern is simply part of the lacemaking process. Have the
confidence to do whatever you like ;)”

Response:
I  do find pre-pricking relaxing and I do like the idea of printing the
pattern, punching it into card and then drawing the pattern on the card. I am
usually far ahead in making prickings and some evenings it is just easier to
take out a pricking and start punching than getting my pillow.
Jacquie in Lincolnshire also wrote:
“Use either waxed paper between the photocopy and the card, or just rub over
the back of the pricking with wax of some sort; I use beeswax as DH is a
beekeeper so there's always some around, but a candle works just as well. ”

Response:
I use beeswax for several things. I usually keep one of the plastic incased
disks near my desk and will stick the needle in it while pricking. So I do
have a question.

Is just rubbing the back of the card sufficient or do you heat it a little?
I lost the original but Adele wrote:
“Plain unbleached cotton muslin (often called "quilter's muslin") does come
in different weights..."

Response:
When I starting thinking about making a pillow or two, I went in search of
muslin. Our Hobby Lobby (at the time though no longer) had something called
“super muslin” Almost as heavy as canvas. I also bought some really heavy
blue cotton duck for the pillow cover. I think the two together will make for
sore fingers but yes we have from very thin (fine) to very thick (heavy)
muslin here, even in Texas.
Jane Partridge wrote:
“I feel there are, and will always be, two types of lacemaker - those who
are purists, who will only use what has been used in the past . . . and those
who are happy to use whatever works for them, and is within their budget.”

and

“I doubt very much they worried about "authenticity" then, more that the
lace was worked and they earned their few shillings or tokens to pay for their
food!”

Response:
In my bobbin lace class they talk about how one of the women and I act almost
like brother and sister, somewhere between teasing and arguing. But always in
good fun as I really admire and enjoy this person’s approach. But I am
probably considered the purist and she the “what ever works” person.

She is by far the better craftsperson but I do like to have the right size
pins and my bobbins spangled.

As I have written so much I will just say on this topic that I play “early
music” and should supposedly be part of the Historically Informed
Performance (HIP) crowd. But really I’m not, I’m an old folk singer and
rocker who prefers being crafty but I will tell you I have recently become an
admirer of Richard Taruskin (the book Text and Act especially) so I have now
come the belief that at least with early music “authenticity” is illusive
at best so I avoid the “A” word. But I do like my spangles and my blue or
green cover cloths.
But to try and get back to one of the initial subjects I will finish (finally)
with the following:

This forum recently discussed fish in Halas lace, well signing symbols in
lace. I had bought Pat Earnshaw’s 3 books on Machine Lace at our local Half
Price Books before the holidays. After her “Outlines and Stitches: a Guide
to Design with Special References to Halas Needlelaces” was mentioned here I
went back and they had two copies for $7.98 each. I bought one. So now I am
ready to try my hand at needle lace.

Chapter 3 is titled “Preparations for making needlelace” which begins
“In the past, patterns were hand-drawn in ink on parchment” (page 5) Then
on page 6, “When the pattern was made of parchment, it had enough firmness
of its own to require no additional support.”

Towards the end of the chapter (page 6) she tells you how to make a “typical
pattern assembly . . . a protective cover of tracing paper, architect’s
linen, or self-adhesive matt-surfaced acetate (or vinyl) ‘contact’
film.”, then the pattern on, “opaque paper or translucent tracing
paper.” And then either brown paper or several layers of cloth.

So soon I too will explore needle lace (I hope soon).

There were so many who added to this discussion I wish I could thank you all.
Though we deviated from the original topics I must say I have gained so much
and I for one am glad we did.

Oh, to touch on another thread (of the email kind) one of the two initial
practice patterns in Outlines and Stitches is a bunny. Well as a Texan I would
have to say it looks more like a hare, but definitely a lagomorph, but not a
pika. Do some of you really use bunny to mean a squirrel? One dictionary
indicates such.

TTFN
Lacer Pat T. in somewhat cold Austin, Texas.