When I was still teaching, I can remember an evening when my students were
getting really frustrated by the lack of conformity in terminology.  "Why
can't you all just agree on a set of terms?" (Spoken with irritation and a
grumpy tone of voice.)  I said "that's bobbin lace.  Deal with it!".  But
actually the disagreements about terminology result from that fact that we
don't tend to stay only within the territory of our native local tradition
when it comes to bobbin lace.  Most of us are fascinated by all those other
national and regional traditions, in other languages, and on other continents.
The richness of this world tradition is what causes the terminology problem.
And, personally, I'll happily put up with  terminology disagreements so long
as I can access all those traditions.
Lorelei