Personally, I put my bobbin collection lying flat in a showcase. I also
have a display table that holds a pillow with an eccentric collection of
bobbins  displayed on it.
The question of restoration applies not only to bobbins, but to lace as
well. Modern conservation practice dictates that the restoration be clearly
distinguishable from the original material, so as to avoid confusion about
what  is original and what is added. Thus if you take your lace to a
conservator the  repair will be extremely noticeable, intentionally so.
However, many
people,  especially those planning to use lace, would prefer if the repair
was invisible.  To some extent, I think the issue is whether the item is an
important historical  piece worthy of putting in a museum, and thus you may
not want to subject it to  wear and tear, or whether it is just "old" but
something you want to use, like a  piece of antique furniture.
Devon