Devon, although not strictly needlelace - there are a couple of "story"
pieces in Filet Lace in early pattern books of about 1920, "Le Filet Ancien"
- one depicting  a frock-coated man seated, watching youths and girls
dancing, with musicians, and a shepherd and sheep surrounded by pedestals
with flowers branching out!

Another of these books shows a King and ?queen, in a horse drawn carriage
being held up, it appears by someone in a leopard outfit and boots (? Puss
in Boots?) surrounded by trees, and people watching.

A couple of long narrow pictures that would be very interesting to make
(though I doubt I would live long enough to get them finished!!!!! :-) )

Some sections of the Bayeux Tapestry are also depicted in these patterns for
filet lace.

Regards from Liz in very Wet Melbourne, Oaz

lizl...@bigpond.com