Knitting is not really ancient, as having been around during Jesus' time.
 Naalbinding, the predecessor to knitting, was developed much earlier than
that (and may be a few thousand years old).  Knitting as we know it
(involving two needles and pulling loops through loops) was first seen
around 1000 AD.
(http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEspring06/FEAThistory101.html  This
is a pretty good article on the history of knitting.  I could wish it was
footnoted, however.)

I have heard the legend of the reason for the soldiers throwing lots for
Jesus' garment as being the weave was so fine, that it was worth quite a bit
more if they kept it all in one piece, rather than dividing it up.  While it
is more time consuming to weave something in the round without a seam, it
would be quite possible to do with the technology they had in the first
century.  And the fact that it is more time consuming to weave in the round
would lend credence to the thought that it was an extremely valuable piece
of cloth.

Ob lace content:  I am very close to being 3/4 way through a 4" by 8" piece
of reticello lace who's pattern comes from the 1500's.  It's only taken me
two years to get here.  Considering I've not had a person teaching me, so
every improvement is "reinventing the wheel", I'm pretty pleased with the
progress I'm making.

Bronwen

--
Per pale argent and purpure, two phoenixes counterchanged sable and argent
each rising from flames proper.

"It is sometimes the most fragile things that have the power to endure and
become sources of strength."
- May Sarton

"Only a life lived in the service to others is worth living."- Albert
Einstein

"Out of clutter, find Simplicity. From discord, find Harmony. In the middle
of difficulty lies opportunity." - Albert Einstein

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful
than the risk it took to blossom." - Anais Nin

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have
imagined." - Henry David Thoreau