Jenny
What you describe in your evening is definitely not hand holding:  it is the
very best form of teaching, which shows a student how to dispense with the
teacher.  And I'm not surprised that lacemakers with only 2 years of
experience would hesitate to interpret a pattern.  I think it is possible to
teach students how to interpret a pricking (along with possible variants)
right from the very first lesson, if there is a gradual and careful gradation
of patterns.  But not every teacher does this.  (I do this in my torchon book,
if I may brag for a minute.)  Also a student who can interpret a pricking if
she has a photo of the lace is already 2/3 of the way to the goal.

Lorelei