I have, in fact, had some lace imprinted on pottery. It was done locally, and I too, wondered about sticky clay.

Turns out the lace, in this case tatting, did not come back gunked up. Yes, it was somewhat "dusty" but the clay is not wet when they imprint it. It is mostly dry, slightly damp. A superfine lace would not show up well anyway, so a sturdy piece would come out just fine!

I do know of some instances when they imprint the lace and then leave it in to burn away. Please verify before committing!

Lauren in Snohomish WA

On 14/03/2011 4:49 PM, lynrbai...@desupernet.net wrote:
I found the pertinent website.
http://www.campbellpotterystore.com/upcoming-events/
Some online lace store sells this.  I don't know which, but I was shopping
online, searching for something lace related and found it.  My only problem is
that you have to get your lovely lace in touch with raw sticky clay.  I'm not
confident that washing would make all right again.

Lyn in Lancaster, PA, US, where it was a bit nippier than they said it would
be.  Not sunny, not cloudy.  And now it's dark.

-----Original Message-----
From: hottl...@neo.rr.com
Sent: Mar 14, 2011 1:50 PM
To: lace@arachne.com
Subject: [lace] lace imprinting

Hello All!  My friend in Edinboro, PA just emailed me that Campbell Pottery will
have a demo of lace imprinting on clay June 25&  26.  The artist is Trudi Clark
from NJ.  They are also hosting a Lily Festival in July with a juried exhibit of
artists using any medium to represent the lily.  Hmmm.  Sincerely, Susan Hottle

12:34:00