To add to this excellent advice, be very, very careful when using a
smartphone to access your e-mail!

I was in Paris in February on business, and took some time for tourism.  I
was standing outside the Louvre after visiting the museum, and decided to
try to access my gmail account on my smartphone.  It asked me to log in
again "to improve the services that Google can offer."  I thought about that
for a minute, but mentally shrugged my shoulders and gave it my password.
 It didn't take me to my e-mail, but to a "cannot display page" message.

A week later, I logged into my gmail account on a computer, to find that
someone had just accessed my account from Thailand and send spam to everyone
in my contacts list (literally, 15 minutes earlier).  Since my password had
never been hacked before, I am blaming the Louvre incident for the problem
-- someone was sitting there in the area, redirecting websurfers and
harvesting their passwords.

Adding to the problem:  what account do you use as your password recovery
account?  Nearly all of the sites where I have a password send password
confirmations to my gmail address -- all a hacker has to do is search for
"password" and harvest what they find.  Consider using a different account
than that which you use while traveling, so your other passwords aren't
endangered.

Moral of the story:  be very, very careful with your passwords, your
smartphones, and everything else.  If something doesn't look right, it
probably isn't.

Best regards
Elizabeth, now sadder and wiser