Hi

It's been fascinating to read about people's first pillows, what an
enterprising lot we are.  My first pillow was just an ordinary polystyrene
cookie pillow, but the cover was something else.  My instructions said that I
needed a piece of cotton material, dark blue or green which I didn't have.  So
desperate was I to start and (with 2 small children and another one on the
way) hard up I raided up the kid's dressing up box and acquired a pink linen
skirt that my mum had thrown out.

The skirt dated back to the late 1950s (I started lace in 1985) and had a bit
of a story attached to it.  Those were the days when my parents didn't have a
car and going on holiday meant going on the train.  Two adults and 2 children
couldn't carry enough stuff for all 4 of us, bearing in mind that in the flat
we were renting we needed to take bed sheets and well as our clothes.  So on
the Thursday before we went on holiday we packed a big suitcase with as much
of our luggage as we could and took it to the railway station to be at our
destination when we arrived on the Saturday.

You've probably guessed that when we arrived on Saturday our suitcase hadn't
arrived, and inevitably the suitcase included all mum's clothes.  When the
suitcase still hadn't arrived on Monday, mum was desperate for a change of
clothes and so we found a fabric shop and mum bought this remnant of pink
linen and that evening made herself a skirt.  When we got home she remodelled
it and wore it quite a lot.  In the end it got thrown out which is why it
found it's last resting place on my first lace pillow.

Many years and much more lace equipment later (I spent a lot of last weekend
tidying it away as my lace room is about to become a spare bedroom as my
eldest son is coming home for Easter) I still remember my first lace pillow
and mum's old skirt!.

Alison in Colchester Essex UK where it's a beautiful spring day