Thanks for your kind words, Leonard, and for Susan's pointing us to the Arizona Archives.

I feel I need to remind people that the scans on Arizona were only made from books out of copyright, i.e. published before 1923 (or in a few very generous cases from contemporary authors who were willing to share their modern work). Also, if as Leonard points out, Part 1 or 2 is missing, that is simply because I had to deal with what I could find on interlibrary loan or through the generosity of those who lent me copies from their private collections.

I tried to compare the Levey/Payne version of Le Pompe 1559 to the scan I made and I think I found that this Viennese one (1879) seems to have more designs, although many are the same as the L/P book. If I could read the German I think I would find that very interesting, but I can't so will have to leave it up to Ilske or other German-speaking Arachnids to tell us if there is anything we should know.

However, the Levey/Payne book gives us some superb directions and diagrams, which the German one doesn't. I haven't seen the Rosemary Shepherd book on the subject, so can't compare. All I can say is how lucky we are these days to have the excellent and careful diagrams and directions that modern authors provide us with. I for one would be stumped if I had to work from the 1879 book, not knowing where to begin. Many thanks to all of these hard-working teachers.

Tess (tess1...@aol.com) in Maine USA, where it hit 67' this afternoon, the warmest we have had since last summer!