Hello All!  After the thorough discussion of pins, how about some background on
the development of bobbins & their shapes??  Unless I should be figuring out
how to use the archives & answer my own question!!  LOL  While my back is "out"
from overworking in the garden, I'm letting my fingers do the walking.  I've
just signed up for a Skansk workshop & decided to get some idea of what I was
getting myself into when I came across the "freehand" lace articles on the
lacefairy site.  (Thank you Lace Fairy!)  In particular, the odd fir tree
shaped bobbins of Maurienne caught my eye.  I've been lusting after a carved
pillow from Queyras but must now add a visit to Maurienne to any future
itinerary of this French/Italian lacemaking area!  Bobbins I've seen all have a
distinct "head", but after that, it seems anything goes.  How did we get where
we are now & what designs were discarded because they "didn't work"?  There
seem to be lots of different styles that didn't make the cut beca
 use the currently available selection is limited.  Makes me wonder if it's
like shoes--some for show & some for go!  Sincerely, Susan Hottle, Erie, PA
with another 5" of rain last night