Dear thread users,

When I wrote about the effect of dyes on thread fibers, I expected to start
 a discussion, and have been successful.  I know you both (and many
others) have much experience, with threads and dyes.

When I joined the Embroiderers' Guild of America in 1968, some of the first
 classes I took at their headquarters, then in New York City, were with
teachers  of various ethnic embroideries.  These were teachers experienced in
Greek,  Swiss, German, Danish embroidery on linen.  They actually showed
examples that proved to me that it is important to pay attention to how much
"coverage" different DMC colors gave, and if the result was "weak", to add a
strand.  This also proved to be important with wool, when I went on to
learn about canvas work from expert teachers.

Unfortunately, I did not think to ask about this when on a private tour of
the DMC factory in France, near the Switzerland border, about 30 years
ago.  I do remember seeing the dyeing operation - in fact, every phase of
thread production.  And since I think the quality standards have slipped a  bit
in recent years due to pressures from the huge discounters, I think it  is
very important to keep reminding lacemakers to closely examine threads at
point of purchase.  In fact, thread quality was discussed in my review  of
Barbara Ballantyne's book "The Structure of Threads for Lace", in  March.

Alison, I hope you will love your vintage Singer Featherweight  machine.
Mine is now 54 years old, and still in good shape, after  replacing the foot
pedal once.  Now, that is what quality used to be all  about!!  It is always
my go-to machine, though I own another newer electric  machine and two
antique machines that are entirely powered by this  human.

Kind regards, Jeri

Jeri Ames in  Maine USA
Lace and Embroidery Resource Center

In a message dated 6/10/2011 5:58:12 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,