You have raised several interesting topics.  I've been making lace for 18
years.  I started when I was working full time so I had limited time to put on
lacemaking.  I've done more since retiring.

Lacemaking is not fast.  Some people are faster than others...true for most
activities.  They move their fingers faster.  The fastest lacemaker in our
local group learned in Belgium from a teacher who expected people to work fast.
 Practice is the key. A bit of urging from a teacher can stimulate the faster
practice.

Yardage is certainly repetitive.  If you are making a pattern just for the
practice, and have no goal in mind, you might be ready to quit with a foot or
two or three.  If you are making it for your granddaughter's wedding veil,
there is a bit more incentive.  I like to do a variety of laces.  My longest
yardage piece was three yards.  I have ended some at 12 or 15 inches if I lost
interest in the design.  There is always a yardage piece on my travel pillow so
I can take it with me at moment's notice, or use at demos if I have nothing
else suitable at that moment.

The old-time professional lacemakers were in it for a living.  If they weren't
making lace, they would be in the fields or kitchens or scrubbing floors or
whatever.  A warm, dry lace factory was more pleasant that some of the
alternatives.  But it was not easy.  They depended on the sun for light and
worked sun up to sun down.  It made for long hours in the summertime.  This was
long before labor laws.

Children started as early as age six.  They could wind the bobbins used by the
lacemakers.  When they got old enough (big enough?) to sit at a lace pillow,
they started with the simpler patterns.  When yardage lace was gathered onto
garments, mistakes in a pattern did not show.  No time was spent taking out
mistakes.  Just get back to the pattern and keep going.

How much can be made in a day?  Well... depends on the pattern, the thread, and
the skill of the lacemaker.  When viewers at a demo ask..and they WILL always
ask...we say "a square inch an hour".  That is a general average for medium
thread in Torchon.  I also add a comment that thicker thread will cover the
pattern faster, and thin thread or a complicated pattern will take longer.  (I
may have a piece of lace made with very tiny thread nearby, and comment that it
took four/five times longer because of the tiny thread.)  If a lacemaker worked
12-14 hours on a summer day, with the same pattern all the time, she might have
done up to 20-25 square inches.  This is a guess.  I have no documented
evidence one way or the other.

I have a basic rose pattern that I have made many times.  The first time I made
it, I took 14 hours.  I can now make it in six.  I also had an experience
recently when I made a collar as a gift.  I spent three months on it, and made
two mistakes.  I wasn't willing to give away a flawed item, so made a second
one which took only three weeks.  Knowing the pattern well made a big
difference in time spent doing it.

Know a pattern can only come from using it...which takes you back to PRACTICE.
Just doing it constantly, persistently, determinedly (you get the picture)
leads to skill ... i.e. competence and speed.

Relate it to playing a musical instrument.  If a person practices for only half
an hour a week, no skill will be developed.  As a kid, I was required to spend
an hour a day at the piano.  I could play church hymns and general music, but
was never suggested as a concert pianist.  Those people spend 6-8 hours a day
at the piano.

Don't even try to equal the speed of a lady in Belgium who has probably been
making lace for 50 years and has done that pattern many times.  Just appreciate
her skill. Try to make your lace every day...even if just for 15 minutes.  Let
your fingers and brain get used to the movement sequences, and switching
between the basic sequences.  Speed will come with experience, but let it come
naturally.  Take pleasure in the movement of the bobbins, and watching the
pattern develop.  Enjoy the products of your work, and show them off.

By the way... if you have to work on a higher table, try to raise the seating.
Use a cushion, or stack two chairs together (if they stack).  Most hotel and
convention center seating stacks.  The chair/table height must fit you properly
to prevent back/shoulder/neck aches.

Most of all...have fun with your lace.

Alice in Oregon ... with our first hot day on the first day of summer.