Hello All!  My limited experience says there is no correlation between
untwisted/broken threads & flicking the bobbins.  If I were to point a finger,
I would say that losing the twist comes from having too much thread on the
bobbin.  In embroidery terms, I would equate that to using too long a strand &
as it is used, it becomes worn from the fabric/canvas & the eye of the needle.
On bobbins, I don't recall EVER losing the twist when I first started out.  It
was always much later in the work after lots of tensioning & pin under 4 or
whatever.  Surely the threads are abrasive against each other, although maybe
less so on the pins.  Sewings take their toll as well; easy to split while
jabbing.  BTW--A friend recently told me to add a twist where there were
sewings to make it easier & she was absolutely right!  As to the amount of
thread, althought I dislike replacing threads, I am now more mindful & try not
to overload.  I would also mention that since the first bit of thread !
 is wound by hand rather than with the winder, that could be part of the
problem.  Until I took the Maltese workshop & used linen for the first time, I
had NEVER broken a thread & I wouldn't say I'm shy about tensioning!  Maybe
this is a good time to add to the *beginner* thread comments previously posted.
 DMC perle 8 comes in lots of colors--check for them at a
needlework/needlepoint shop or online.  It's much more fun to learn with
something that's pretty to look at!  It only takes a few samples to get bored
with #8 so look for tatting cotton & make the switch asap.  Develop a network
of thread resources early on.  While they're great for snacks & soda, I'm sure
you don't buy your groceries at 7/11 & threads are the same scenario.  You'll
outgrow JoAnn's after the first few pieces.  Turning it back over the experts
now!  ;-)  Sincerely, Susan Hottle, Erie, PA