Yes - I wear some of the lace I make, but I don't flaunt it.

The kind of lace I like to make is edgings, and I use them to decorate my lingerie, especially nightdresses. Mostly, I prefer to wear long, loose white nightdresses made of pure cotton, and these give plenty of opportunity to use edgings.

Since I saw a collection of Victorian garments, where all the lace was supported on two tucks, I've taken to doing the same thing. You use a tiny tuck to which the lace is stitched, and make another tuck underneath which carries the lace. Since the deep tuck is made to be just slightly longer than the lace, I think it also protects the picots in particular, as well as lifting and displaying it.

Of course they have to be washed frequently, but I find that they survive well on my washing machine's 'delicate' setting. In fact, the lace survives better than the fabric, and I've detached it and used it on new nightdresses when old ones have worn out.

Alright, that wouldn't be the way to treat an heirloom, but there's no-one to inherit it, and I feel I might as well enjoy the fruits of my own handiwork. Oh, and my husband enjoys seeing it, too!

Linda Walton,
(in High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, U.K., where it's a perfect Summer morning, and I'm planning a picnic tea. I know a beautiful little clearing in our nearby beech woods, just the spot to make some lace.)