Diana Smith wrote

<Has anyone else received their copy of Lace yet? There is a picture of >
<another beautiful piece of needle lace made by Catherine Barley.>

Clay it's exquisite!  A stunning piece and all those bobbins to organise too!
Many congratulations to you both - what an achievement!

The piece of needlelace in 'Lace' is my comtribution to the Winifred Millar
challenge.  A pricking was sent to several lacemakers as a challenge to use
this as inspiration to design and work a piece of lace in their chosen
technique.  I had originally intended it to be only a small piece for the
front of a bridal shoe (the one not worked from the pair in my book), hence
the shape and to be worked in gold thread which I thought would contrast well
with the ivory satin.  However, I was unable to source a gold thread in
varying thickness, something that is necessary for Point de Gaze but do have
an abundance of white/cream threads in numerous different gauges - so once
again, white it had to be!

I also take photographs of my work in progress as I feel it is far more
interesting for others to see the journey, rather than just the original
pattern and completed lace and have various stage photos of the version of
Ulrike's Californian Poppies which many of you will have seen already, plus of
course the piece currently in 'Lace'.

I have been without my laptop for almost four weeks and was devasted when I
thought I had lost all my photographs taken over many years (not backing up my
files on a regular basis), but fortunately a clever engineer has been able to
retrieve them for me - what a relief!  However, nothing works the same as it
did before and I spent a frustrating day yesterday, trying to fathom out how
to work everyhting.  I did actually send this email yesterday from my address
book but it hasn't appeared on Arachne neither is it in my 'Sent Items'!
Guess I'll have to go back to the engineer.  Hope this one arrives in the mail
box and a warning to you all to regularly back up all your files!

Catherine Barley
Henley-on-Thames
UK