Yes, David... the term is kitchener stitch. It solve that problem at the end of the sock.

However, if you're feeling adventurous, you may want to try knitting your socks toe-up! Use "Judy's Magic Cast-On" (see it on YouTube), and your start is invisible. Knit the sock to the top and bind off!! A number of other advantages as well... It's the sock I teach at our LYS!! And have you used the "Magic Loop" instead of double points? It's not your Gran's sock world any more!

Clay