Thank you Brenda and Jane,
I just printed it off bigger, following your suggestions. As it was a pretty small piece, the larger print still looks like it will work and comes up a bit like a large church window which was what I was looking for and I think will still fit inside one of those cards with a circular appeture.

I do have Edition 5, but my old maths skills have sadly deserted me, so thank you both for coming to my assistance, <g>. Brenda, When you talk about the grid size between footedge and grid, I understand perfectly on a straight piece, how do I go about checking that on a bucks circular pattern? Looking at this I can see along the diagonal (which I am guessing is the grid, and straight across the piece which has a slightly wider gape. Obviously with the different angle of bucks verses the torchon examples in the book, its not so obvious to my poor little tired brain, <g>.
Many thanks,
Sue t
Dorset UK

Hi Sue

If you have one of the later editions of Threads for Lace have a look at the thread wraps per space - page 8 in Ed5.

The finer the thread the more leeway you have in the number of wraps/cm you have, but..... for a Bucks (point ground) pattern using a 58 w/cm thread (slightly finer than Brok 100/2) the ideal space between footedge pinholes is 1.8mm. For a 40 w/cm thread (slightly finer than Egyptian 60/2) it's 2.5mm which is quite a bit bigger.

100% / 1.8 x 2.5 = 138.888888 so you need to increase your pattern by 139% which is a lot. A4 -> A3 increase is 141% which is only marginally bigger.

Brenda