Dear Lauren,

The bags carry a date and logo, or can be identified easily when you
reference the IOLI bulletins.  Therefore, I keep them with lots of  other lace
ephemera of the 20th-21st centuries.  In combination  with the library and
lace collection here it would be a start for my lace  museum dream.   I seem to
be the only one still wishing we had a  fully-dedicated lace and embroidery
museum in the U.S. to which these treasures  can be donated.

Since most American lacemakers have never been abroad, they do not  realize
that all the European countries where lace is made have numerous lace
collections that are open to the public.  These greatly enhance the  5-day tour
experience for those who attend the OIDFA Congresses.  It  is my dream that
the U.S. will have a museum some day that is as powerful a  proponent of
lace as the Powerhouse Museum in Australia.  If the  Australians can do so much
to keep lace always a presence, why cannot  Americans?

I acknowledge the large lace and embroidery collections in mega  museums
and universities in the U.S.  However, arranging to see their  collections can
involve a major effort.  Some charge fees that  are beyond the means of
lace lovers.  And because they are in large cities,  the cost of hotel,
parking, and food is elevated.  Since there is already a  small lace museum
near
San Francisco (located in a strip mall  store), a fully-dedicated museum in a
smaller city on the East Coast  is my dream that will probably never come
true.

Keeping the totes, just in case!

Jeri Ames in  Maine USA
Lace and Embroidery Resource Center

In a message dated 8/11/2011 4:31:31 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,