Dear Clay,

We have chemists and scientists on Arachne who are better-qualified to
address your plastics question.  Some plastics are safer than others,  but
we've all seen old hard plastics turn yellow, lose  transparency, and try to
return to a petroleum state.  The type used  by dry cleaners to cover
newly-cleaned clothes is never a good  choice.  It attracts dirt and smoke, and
it
traps moisture.  As for  boxes to store your bobbins and other lace supplies:
what do our scientists  have to say?  I would say to check your supplies
regularly - at least once  a year.  Put a reminder on your calendar each year,
perhaps on St.  Catherine's Day, for this pleasurable reunion with your
lace-related  supplies..

Zippered canvas storage bags made from a synthetic fiber are another
matter.  What is the fiber?   Water-proofed?  Smell  funny?  Allow air to
circulate a bit?  Would you climb all the  way in, close the zipper, and stay a
day
if it was sized to fit (as in  a sleeping bag, with your head tucked
inside)?  We tell people to use  woven 100% undyed cotton, from which all
sizing
has been removed through  washing, when storing laces.  That is a huge clue
for you.   Personally, I think such a bag is good for transport, but maybe
not for  permanent storage.

At a Costume Society of America symposium in June, I participated in a
full day of examining many examples of problems 20th C.  clothing materials
have manifested over a short period of time.  These  were the things giving
curators the most headaches.  Elastics and  stretchy materials added to
fabrics- iron-on facings- sequins and beads (that  look like glass) made of a
gel
that dissolves in water- synthetic  or plastic zippers- dress shields- glues
that were not stable- staining  from metals- dissolving threads- etc.  If
you are sentimental and have kept  clothing from 30 or more years ago, have a
look.  Use your common sense  when such things are in your collections, and
know that some will not stand the  passage of time, no matter what you do.

It is important to think of those things you learned in the early  years of
school - about gravity, air pollution, water pollution, sun burns,  etc.
Then, use common sense.

A primary guideline is to remember if something is not good for  humans, it
is probably not good for lace!

Jeri Ames in  Maine USA
Lace and Embroidery Resource Center

In a message dated 8/13/2011 1:33:35 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,