Thank you Malvary and Joepie,
yesterday I mentioned to my husband that I have some woollen offcuts from a living history skirt I made a few years ago, so I am not as daft as I thought, <grin>. So I will shrink that (if you saw the skirt you would know what I mean, even on what was a gentle wash:-)

I might also be tempted in the near future to make up my own roller to fit into the same space as this original, so that once I have killed it off I can swap over and use the more robust version. I will go searching my DH stash of scraps of wood and see if he has something suitable, or else send him so I dont get lost in the pile. I did remember Davids comments recently about having a bit of a loop in the pattern so the pins go into a slightly different place.

I am hoping to get used to it enough and have reworked my original pattern I did for the arachne swap 3 years ago into a long strip rather than the original rectangle and then I can take it on my travels. Well I had better go and do our shopping, I cant play with my new toy because they sent the one for Austalia rather than GB, !!!!!!
Sue T off to shop and sulk

Sue T asked "I have read in the past of the various ways that people help preserve the surface of a roller pillow..."

I think that the best thing to cover your roller with is wool fabric (old blanket or clothes cut into strips and wound as tightly as possible round the styrofoam centre. One thing you will have to consider is how much space do you have so that the roller will still fit into its space, probably not enough to fully protect the styrofoam centre.

Malvary in Ottawa (the Nation's capital) where we have a grey day with more thunderboomers forecast for later.