I learned several years ago after acquiring tennis elbow from  a lap top
computer (not using an external mouse) for large statistical report
and working on a lace project that I had to learn to be more careful.   My
physical therapist stated to me to try to move every 20-30 minutes.  Stand up
and move, go get a drink, go outside for a breath of fresh air, let the dogs
outside, etc - which helps the eyes, hands, elbow, legs and back.

With
weather permitting - I have found sitting outside in the shade in
an Adirondack chair (I have a wide pillow that will sides will sit on the arms
of the chair) is very comfortable because the knees are higher than the butt
and the lace work is even with my elbows.  The additional plus is the natural
lighting is excellent!

Inside, I use a dining room chair with a high back
that support my lower back properly with an adjustable lace table. I try to
move my floor lamp around to the right angle so I do not have to bend to see
the pin holes.  I use the sofa table at my side for my pattern holder.   I
also vary this if I am using the standard round pillow - by sitting on my sofa
with a stool to put one foot up on the stool at a time - alternating every few
minutes.

I had a lower back injury due to a car hitting my car in the
rear.  So flexing the lower back by changing leg positions is helpful.  I
also find that when I do my daily walking for 30-60 minutes every day, sitting
for an hour or two working on lace is not as difficult.

 Chris Brill-Packard,
Cleveland, Ohio area