Regarding recent comments and questions about the Antique Pattern Library:  I
have volunteered with the APL for several years, donating scans of textile
publications (in the public domain) from my personal collection, and
moderating the Yahoo Group associated with the APL.  When I read recent
Arachne postings about the Antique Pattern _Library, I contacted Judith Adele
Combs, the founder of our Library, asking her to address some of the issues
raised in those postings.  Her reply is copied below.  I hope this information
will be helpful and informative to those who have questions about the APL.

In addition to what Judith has said, I will add the fact that the APL Yahoo
Group often discusses the various textile techniques mentioned in Library
books.  References to other sources of information on techniques are often
given.  Questions are answered when someone is looking for information on
specific techniques or patterns contained in our publications.  Members often
discuss the techniques themselves.  This group provides a friendly forum for
all the various facets of the Antique Pattern Library.

Adrienne Kattke

Here is Judith’s reply:

Digital Archive does not request donations because it operates out of the
University of Arizona computer department.  The Digital Archive was created
and developed by the late mathematician Ralph Griswold, and his database and
tireless work on the library is much appreciated by needle workers. We miss
him. The founder of Antique Pattern Library, Judith Adele Combs, volunteered
full time for Dr. Griswold the summer before he died, extracting articles from
weaving periodicals and other chores, and there was considerable donating back
and forth between the two libraries, each of which has different goals and
methods.  The books that Dr. Griswold gave Antique Pattern Library were
re-edited by APL volunteers to make them more useful to needle workers.
Digital Archive was developed originally for mathematicians and other
researchers.

Antique Pattern Library is part of a small tax exempt nonprofit, struggling to
cover website hosting costs, with no university  connections.  This frees us
from university limitations, but does cost money to maintain, so yes, we ask
for donations.  None of the dozens of APL world-wide volunteers and scan
donors are paid, and they give much attention to the needle workers and other
craft people who use the library – graphics that are edited and can be
printed and read on a variety of devices, with clear illustrations and the
fastest possible load times, along with much help to any forum member who is
having problems downloading and using the pdf files.  The database and list of
book donors grows daily, and has books that cannot be found anywhere else –
treasures we deeply believe should be accessible to all, for free.  The
current webmistress is Sytske Wijnsma, a Java programmer from the Netherlands
who is also an avid crafts book collector.  Adrienne Kattke, from New York,
runs the forum with amazing patience and good judgment, and Judith Adele in
San Diego manages the book donations and volunteers and helps maintain the
database.  Dozens of volunteers from North and South America, Europe and Asia,
scan their collections of books and donate them to the library.

Besides our focus on creating a library of books in the public domain which
can be downloaded by anyone, at no charge, there is also the goal of
preserving these publications in digitized versions before the hard copies
crumble and cease to exist.