Did you see this?
http://www.etsy.com/listing/80300617/antique-purse-twist-silk-thread-new-old
Pretty fine, and appears to be like the silk threads that YLI, etc. make...
Belding Corticelli Buttonhole Twist that I have on hand is much thicker than
this, and would be what I would tend to use, esp. if beaded, fwiw, but depends
upon the application.

In the old days, sewing thread (silk, cotton,
polyester blends when they came out, etc.) used to be numbered 70, 80, 90,
etc.  To me, the etsy picture appears to be 90 (could possibly be 80 but I
doubt it)...purely a visual stab from experience.

The other thing I didn't
mention, is cotton floche.  It is stronger than floss and used to be used for
tons of things...has more twist and is considered stronger, so one nuance is
that ballerinas used it for sewings and repairs in their toe shoes, etc.  You
can still find that, and I have purchased considerable amounts from Needlework
Unlimited in Edina, MN  800.925.2454 (they may have dropped the 800 number,
DK) or 612.925.2454.  You will have to wind it, as it comes in hanks, and
comes in a range of colors.

I remember from old English books, that "twist"
was often a generic word for thread.  Hopefully from all the responses, you
can find a satisfactory solution.

HTH
Susan Reishus