You need to test wash your lace in the same state as it will be used on the
garment.

You can at least partly pre-shrink the lace by putting a very damp cloth over
it and steaming it with a hot iron using little pressure. Also pre shrink the
fabric or garment.

Sew the sample of lace to the fabric in the same way as it will be in the
finished design, ie. appliquéd on or inserted with the fabric removed from
behind it.

Now you can wash and iron it in the way you will the garment, but the fabric
will be supporting the edges of the lace and mean you are more able to return
or even stretch it to its original size as you iron.  I find this is easier to
do if you iron the garment damp, rather than drying it first and then using a
steam iron.

You may find that it is worth going test strips in different threads as well as
the DMC (presumably) perlé 12, as they may react differently to washing.

Jacquie in Lincolnshire.

Sent from my iPhone