In message <a702b.3f811916.3ba24...@aol.com>, jeria...@aol.com writes

If copies flood the market, what does that do to the value of a  library
accumulated book-by-book?  I have not found an educational  organization that
is interested in receiving the library as a gift!

I think it then depends upon the purpose the library was set up. If it was as a financial investment, then there is always the risk that further print runs will be made as is the right of the copyright holder whether that be the publisher or the author. The value is then in holding an early edition, and its condition. Publishers often sell off end of print runs at reduced prices.

If it was bought to be used as a reference for personal study, then the value is in the information contained within to the individual, and probably cannot have a price set upon it.

The value of anything, including lace and other textiles, is what someone is prepared to pay for it. If you don't intend to sell then the monetary value is irrelevant, other than for insurance purposes, and those go on replacement value rather than sale value.

The likelihood as to why no organisations want to receive the library as a whole is that they have limited storage facilities, and in the case of The Lace Guild where we do accept books donated to the library, particularly if these are duplicates of those already in the library, then they are taken on the condition that they can be sold, but the cost of transportation from the US to the UK of a large book collection would be prohibitive.

--
Jane Partridge