A proper tambour hook doesn't have a latch!  That's what makes it hard to use.

But because it doesn't have a latch, you don't have the problem of the latch
closing when you are using it in a point down/handle up direction, (as you do
on net,) and is why an experienced tambourer can work extremely fast.

You have to master a sort of twist back and forth on the handle as you go up
and down, along with a pressure of the smooth side of the hook against the net,
and this along with tension on the thread, is what keeps the thread in the hook
while allowing the open hook to go in and out of the holes without snagging.

I found it much easier to move in some directions than in others. It is one of
those skills which really does fall into the "everything in life is rhythm and
practise" motto.

Jacquie in Lincolnshire.

Sent from my iPhone