The 70s and 80s corresponded with a craft revival. There was a  lot of
weaving going on and some people crossed over between this and lace.  Also,
macrame was very popular. I think the multi element nature of macrame  helped
set the stage for lacemaking. Many of the vendors that have been active  in
the last generation, Kaethe Kliot, Robin Lewis Wild, Robbin & Russ, Holly  Van
Sciver, were young then and entered the field of vending. I think that we
are seeing the end of a movement that began in the 1970s. We were also going
 through the bi-centennial which gave a lot of opportunity to demonstrate
lace,  but with an emphasis on the historical aspect.
However, we may be in another craft revival. I see young  people doing a
lot of knitting and other craft work.
I am quite interested in the exhibition and symposium for  young lacemakers
that is to be held in Pavia next fall. Textile Support is a  school that
teaches fiber arts in Pavia. It is run by Anharad Rixon, the young  scholar
who wrote about her research into the composition of lace thread during  the
17th century. I think this website is very inviting to young fiber artist
types. _http://www.textilesupport.it/index_en.html_
(http://www.textilesupport.it/index_en.html)
Apparently there is no shortage of young lacemakers (under 35)  in Europe.

After looking at the Textile Support site, my boss at the MMA  went on the
internet and found several places that seem to have the same kind of  set up
in New York.

_http://www.makeworkshop.com/content/classes/classes_general.html_
(http://www.makeworkshop.com/content/classes/classes_general.html)

_http://www.textileartscenter.com/immersion_vacation_
(http://www.textileartscenter.com/immersion_vacation)

_http://lenacorwinstudio.blogspot.com/_
(http://lenacorwinstudio.blogspot.com/)

Unfortunately, what I think is really needed to connect to  young
lacemakers is a young teacher with lots of energy who can tune in on what
young
people would find interesting about lace.

Devon

In a message dated 10/13/2011 7:28:28 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,