I came into lace making accidentally by purchasing a bag of bobbins at a
thrift store several years ago.  I didn't know what they were, but they were
cheap and looked interesting.  I thought I could use them in dollhouse
miniatures.  Then while browsing on ebay for something else sometime later, I
learned what they were.  It was still a while after that before I was exposed
to the craft itself.

Our local library has an online listing of many local groups, and Lacemakers
of the Ozarks is one of them.  Most of the meetings are at one library branch
or another.  I visited a meeting with my bobbins, rented a pillow made of
covered builders foam for a small refundable fee, and learned the basic
stitches.  They teach beginners for free and seem to truly love and embrace
anyone who wants to learn.  Some of the lace makers go to local fiber arts
fairs, re enactments, period demonstrations, etc.  They are always willing to
show and share.  This year there were quite a few very impressive bobbin lace
pieces in the fair, and demonstrators took shifts at the exhibit.

By the way, I was 55 when I made my first cross/twists.  I have replaced
builders foam pillows with real lace pillows and my collection of lace books
has grown.  I am now retired and hope to continue to learn and make lace along
with all the other things I've always wanted to do.  Ironically, I've kind of
over scheduled my retirement!

I don't think there is any set age or time of life for learning a new
hobby/craft/skill.  But the excitement passed on by those who teach and the
thrill of completing a project eggs one on.  To me it seems the way to advance
the interest in any craft is to get out there and demonstrate where ever it
can be done.   Excitement and enthusiasm is contagious.  Seeing a lot of
bobbins on a pillow can be very intimidating, but being shown it is just a
variation of some simple moves makes a person think anyone can do it.
Granted, there are a lot of other things to remember besides cross/twist.

Once one becomes interested, a desire for books and supplies naturally
follows.  Sometimes borrowing a book or a magazine leads to the purchase of
the same.  I agree that lace making books are expensive and sometimes hard to
come by.

My sister is interested in learning now, too.  She is also in her 50's.

Liz in breezy, cool Missouri, USA