Good Lord. Why are we demonstrating at State Fairs when we  should be
demonstrating at Steampunk events?

Am I living in an alternate universe, or what? I searched  Steampunk Lace
and a lot turned up.

I began looking up Steampunk activities in my area and am  amazed. This
week the New York Nineteenth Century Society which is composed  of YOUNG
PEOPLE
despite the name (talk about misleading names) is having an  event about
corsets in a bar. Their website indicates that they have a Victorian
handsewing circle in which people are reputedly lace making.
_http://nineteenthcenturysociety.org/articles/_
(http://nineteenthcenturysociety.org/articles/)

I urge everyone to investigate Steampunk. I am putting the  Wikepedia
definition at the end of this email. But this has tremendous  potential. For
one
thing, most of the world's current supply of lace was  produced for exactly
this era. Also lace books currently being sold have  patterns for
accessories that haven't been worn since this era. Lacemaking fits  in so well
with
Steampunk that it is incredible. The entire ethos of the weird  19th century
is a perfect match with lace making history. It would not be hard  at all to
create a lacemaking persona for Steampunk events. In fact, arguably  Tatty
Remlage of the Bulletin, publication of the International Old Lacers  already
is one.

We just missed Steampunk Week, a total immersion week planned  by, I kid
you not, Lord Hastings R. Bobbins!

I am going out of my mind!

Devon

Steampunk is a sub-genre of _science fiction_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Science_fiction) , _fantasy_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantasy) ,
_alternate history_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternate_history) , and
_speculative fiction_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speculative_fiction)
that
came into prominence during the 1980s and early 1990s._[1]_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steampunk#cite_note-Clute-Grant-0)   Steampunk
involves a
setting where _steam power_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_power)  is
still
widely  used—usually _Victorian era_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victorian_era)  _Britain_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom) —that
incorporates  elements of either science fiction or fantasy. Works of
steampunk
often feature  _anachronistic_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anachronism)
_technology_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technology)   or futuristic
innovations as Victorians may have _envisioned_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retrofuturism)  them, based on  a Victorian
perspective on _fashion_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fashion) , _culture_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture)
, _architectural style_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Architectural_style) ,
 _art_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art) , etc. This  technology may
include such fictional machines as those found in the works of _H. G.  Wells_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H._G._Wells)  and _Jules Verne_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jules_Verne) .
Other examples of steampunk contain alternative history-style presentations
 of such technology as _lighter-than-air_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lighter-than-air)  _airships_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airships) , _analog
computers_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analog_computer) , or  such
digital _mechanical computers_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechanical_computer)
 as _Charles Babbage_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Babbage)  and
_Ada  Lovelace_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ada_Lovelace) 's _Analytical
engine_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analytical_engine) .
Various modern utilitarian objects have been _modded_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modding)  by individual artisans  into a
pseudo-Victorian
mechanical "steampunk" style, and a number of visual and  musical artists have
been
described as steampunk.