The one hand especially reminds me of 'pin-putting' although I hold my
bobbins heads downwards, whereas the pair she has are angled away from
the pillow. A matter of choice or just the way the threads were, at
the moment the artist captured/interpreted the movement? In his view
via the camera obscura?

I looked through the laces in my copy of De Linnenkast 3 where there
is one lace dated 1686 which could be similar to what Vermeer's
lacemaker had on her pillow, if laces like that were made where this
lacemaker is from (Delft?)

--
Bev in Shirley BC, near Sooke on beautiful Vancouver Island, west
coast of Canada