Nita
You will probably hear several quite different points of view on your
question, but here is mine.  The first problem is that you nearly always don't
get as far as you want to in a first class.  So the major problem is to choose
something that students can actually finish.  And the class must be long
enough for real progress to happen.  I would say a 3 hour class is really
necessary.  The group you are teaching may not want that long a class and may
insist that 2 hours is all you can have.  You may have to accept that.  But
anything less than 2 hours is absolutely useless, if the students actually
expect to learn anything.

Torchon is often the lace chosen as the first kind, but if the first lace
strip has too much variety of stitches, the students won't be able to master
it.  They will simply leave with massive confusion.  You have heard people
here speak of "The Snake" pattern (by Springett, I think) being used for
demonstrations.  That might be a good choice.

Another possibility, since you mention plaiting, is to pick a simple plaited
lace as a bookmark: just plaits/braids, windmill crossing, picots. That can
definitely be learned in one class and the students will have something to
take home and show their families.   (Pick a pattern like the really simple
ones in LePompe and you can even avoid teaching the footside.  Save the
footside for later.) I often start students with simple Beds or Cluny laces.

Another problem is that students will probably arrive without having their
bobbins wound.  That can easily take an hour just in itself.  So you will need
to think about how to deal with that problem.  And even if you give a pattern
out in advance, only a minority will have it pricked.  So plan for that, too.

Teaching is great fun.  But all the problems I've mentioned here have occurred
both in classes I've taught for other guilds, and with small groups of private
students.  It took me a while to adjust my "first class" strategy to fit the
realities.

Lorelei