Two points that I don't think were mentioned were that it is  easier to
dispense with diagrams if you tend to make only one kind of lace. In  the US it
is not unusual to make all different kinds of lace depending on who  might
be teaching within a couple hundred miles of where you live. So one often
does not develop such a high lever of familiarity with a particular set of
conventions.
Another point that I didn't see mentioned was that sometimes  it is rather
fun to follow a challenging diagram. I particularly like Ulrike  Lohr's
which have so many different numbers and letters that she has to resort  to
different letter and number systems to refer you to techniques and even other
books. She uses cardinal numbers, Roman numerals, and decimals, capital
letters,  small letters, sometimes Greek letters. I am waiting for the day that
she runs  out of letters and has to resort to
Cyrillic or possibly Windings.This can be a lot of fun if you  like
puzzles. You sort of get in a zone where your mind is totally  occupied.
Devon

In a message dated 10/30/2011 9:52:40 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,