Several years ago I tried to make two little circular pieces of lace trim (not
a complete mat) to fit inside two candleholder bases, like the ufo.   My
design idea was difficult to work, with my limited lacemaking and designing
ability at that time and worse because it had to be a circular piece.   So
since then it has been left as a thing in my mind and two candle holders
waiting to be used and I want to go back to them.
Yesterday I opened up the lace 2000 with the polar grid, reading and following
the instructions carefully and achieved a rainbow arc of pattern, on the
exercise, so at last I understand what I am meant to do.  Moving it down low
enough and with the right design idea though is a whole new thing.  So I
contacted Ruth and have her ideas and information, but it sent me back to the
paper and grid book I bought this summer from the british lace guild.
I have printed out 4 separate sizes from the front of the book and am going to
doodle a bit and see what ideas I can come up with to fit the bill, but then I
started wondering how you decide what size thread to use with them, or even
how much you might reduce the grid and pattern to suit a particular thread.
I understand the working out using Brendas book at the beginning but with
straight patterns on the footside.  Is there a similar way to decide and
choose grid or thread sizes for circular lace?

Sue T
Dorset UK
www.hurwitzend.co.uk