Dear Ann,

Did you check the Arachne archives to see what has been written on this
subject?

Most things you would spray starch (the modern starch products) are used
regularly, whereas a collection of fine laces is often put away for long
stretches of time.

If left in a textile, spray starch will sometimes cause the article to turn
 from white to slightly beige/yellow.  The change in ecru or dark  threads
will not be visible.  If the item is newish and you find a change  due to
the spray starch, you can soak it in distilled water and remove  the starch.
If the item is antique, it is best to avoid doing anything  that would
require washing (since most people have not been trained to clean  laces).

I worry about long-term storage.  You say small items - not  precious.  For
those who would take my words as carte blanche to starch  things like a
heirloom bridal accessory or christening gown -- you  must be very careful and
have them laundered after use, put them away without  ironing, then starch
and press them when they are put to use  again.

I have used spray starch, but only on items to which I am not
sentimentally attached.  I have a schedule for checking my collection  of laces
regularly, to be sure that they do not change, and that insects or  dampness
has not
invaded the archival boxes in which they are stored.

A reminder from my previous postings on the subject of starches, bleaches,
and cleaning products (preferably the Orvus soap used by museums):   The
formulas of commercial products may change from time-to-time, so  there is no
guarantee, even though most people might say they are safe (from  their past
experience).  It is necessary to be vigilant when dealing  with precious
items that you treasure if you would be devastated if  they were to be
damaged.  Therefore, do not store lace in attics,  cellars, or closets that you
do
not monitor regularly.  Stable temperature  and humidity are advised.

Jeri Ames in  Maine USA
Lace and Embroidery Resource Center

In a message dated 11/13/2011 1:22:39 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,