Dear Newbies,

We have written extensively through the years about St. Catherine, the
patron saint of lacemakers, whose day is next Friday, November 25th.  There
are local lace guilds who use this day as a special time for a  gathering of
lacemakers.  The English custom is to serve Cattern  Cakes.  This year, the
25th is the day after the American  Thanksgiving.  This is a time when
correspondence on Arachne drops to  almost nothing, while our busy women are
preparing family feasts or traveling to  be with loved ones.  Therefore, (for
the
time - next weekend - when you are  not receiving much mail) I am giving
you the address where you can read all  about St. Catherine and the cake
served in her memory:

_http://www.mail-archive.com/lace@arachne.com/index.html_
(http://www.mail-archive.com/lace@arachne.com/index.html)

At this site, search for:
1. St. Catherine's Day
2. Cattern Cake

If long-time members of Arachne are celebrating St. Catherine, please
share what kind of program you have planned or memories of this day, so our
newbies may learn more about this old custom that we are dedicated to  keeping.

Jeri Ames in  Maine USA
Lace and Embroidery Resource  Center