Since we have had a discussion about muslin on the list before (different
meanings across the pond since we use it in various ways to subsidize our lace
making), I thought I would share the A.Word.A.Day information that came today,
that you might find interesting. (below)

Best,

Susan Reishus

muslin
PRONUNCIATION:
(MUHZ-lin)

MEANING:
noun: A plain-woven cotton fabric made in various degrees of fineness.

ETYMOLOGY:
>From French mousseline, from Italian mussolina, from Mussolo (Mosul, Iraq)
which was known for this fabric. Earliest documented use: 1609.

NOTES:
Earlier sheer muslin was used for women's dresses and as a result,
the word muslin was used collectively for women. Today muslin is mostly
used for curtains, sheets, tablecloths, etc.

USAGE:
"What goes on in Brussels is glimpsed through a veil of muslin. Late
night wheeler-dealing is not always recorded."
Stephen Glover; Let's Send More Reporters to Brussels; The Independent
(London, UK); Nov 2, 2009.
Explore "muslin" in the Visual Thesaurus.