----- Original Message -----
>It would be interesting to get opinions on the sensible, comfortable number of
>pins in a given area of pillow.

The pins anchor the lace so subsequent tensioning does not pull it out of
shape.  The closeness of the stitches, and the kind of stitches, will affect
how many are needed to stabilize the lace.  If the pins are very close
together, an inch of pins are probably enough.  Chances are that this is not
the type of pattern you would put on a travel pillow.  I would guess that  you
would want one and a half inches to two inches of pins.

If you start out with two inches worth, you should have enough even if/when you
bend a pin or lose one, which does happen occasionally.

Having said that, I just checked three of my projects and counted the rows of
pins.  It was 12 to 15 rows on each of them, counting the pins on the footside
or the headside.  Thinking in rows might be easier than inches.

I would suggest, however, that you chose a pattern that does *not* have a cloth
stitch edge passive that never sees a pin.  This sort of passive has nothing to
anchor it, and a strong pull when tensioning can gather up the edge past the
pins.  This was a source of frustration for me on more than one pattern.

Alice in Oregon ... where I just spent half the day doing charity shopping with
my husband.  That's an experience I'm glad I do only once a year.  He's not the
easiest person to shop with.  He belongs to a group that sponsors several
families at Christmas.  At least I don't have to wrap and deliver them this
year.