I made a firm quilted mat with a U shape to fit around the roller on my
travel pillow, and the sides go over onto the back flap (where a beaded pin
holds the ends in place while I am working.
This stops the bobbins and threads falling in between the side flaps and the
gap before the back flap, where they would get caught and sometimes break a
thread.  I cribbed the idea from someone else, - and it works a treat.  The
back ends I unpin, when closing up the pillow, and they fold in above the
pins.

Like you Janet, I, too, wash some lace in the washing machine. I have a pair
of collar corners, which are stitched to a blouse collar, and the whole lot
goes in the machine.  I pull them out to shape before handing the blouse on
the line, and then just iron them when I iron the blouse.
I know one lady nearly had apoplexy when she heard me say that, but they
come up alright, look pretty, and are wearing well. They are Many years old
- like ?25, and still going strong!!  Cotton is made to wash and iron...!!!
:)

Yes, Helen, I remember 2 Central European lacemakers who came to Victorian
Lace Days, with their Bolster pillows.  My Gran lived in and around Bedford,
and her pillow was more like a sack filled with straw, and turned out almost
round like a ball, and sat in her Pillow maid (or Pillow horse).

Regards from Liz in hot Melbourne, Oz.
lizl...@bigpond.com