Hi Daphne:

>         Recently we had a warning about celluloid for storing lace.
> Can anyone tell me about acetate please?? Is it safe to use for storing
lace
> and embroideries?? If so which one?

What I found on the Internet was that acetate is made from wood pulp, commonly
by a process called "solvent casting". To me, anything to do with wood pulp
and solvents sends up a warning rocket - I would think it would be bad for the
lace over time. I think acetate is the kind of hard clear plastic that turns
yellow and brittle over time.

People who need archival materials speak well of Polyethylene Terephthalate
(PET) film, which is the generic term for Mylar. It comes in different
thicknesses and here in Vancouver it is available in most art supply stores.

Hope this helps.

Adele
North Vancouver, BC